Specifications Writer (Rochester, NY)
We are seeking a Specifications Writer to join our Rochester office. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 year's previous Architectural/Engineering experience and Bachelor's degree or vocational school education in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Technology.
Summary of Duties:
- Use knowledge of application of materials and methods during construction to write specifications for a variety of projects and building types including: corporate, industrial, financial, educational, and healthcare according to MasterSpec.
- Assist teams in determining material and contract requirements for architectural projects.
- Conduct product research including reviewing product literature, manufacturers' websites, industry standards, trade association publications, building codes, and sustainability rating systems as necessary to ensure that materials and systems are appropriate for the Project.
- Ensure that the specification is coordinated within itself and to the Contract Drawings. Ensure that specifications are clear and concise and exhibit correct format, grammar, and spelling.
- Maintain a written Project Manual (including specifications), which matches the project requirements.
- Organize Project Manual as necessary for distribution.
- Interact with consultants to ensure that their specifications are properly coordinated with the Project Manual.
- Respond to technical and editorial questions.
- Assist team in answering questions and develops addenda during bidding.
- Assist project team with construction of the project, including commenting on product submittals and substitutions.
- Solve projects with specifications when discovered during construction. Visit site and attend construction meetings when requested.
- Successfully meet project hourly budget requirements and deadlines.
The Specifications Writer should have the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or vocational school education in Architecture, Engineering, or Construction Technology
- Minimum of 3 year's previous Architectural/Engineering experience
- Previous experience editing MasterSpec, preferred
- Construction Document Technologist certification (CDT), preferred
- Familiar with building codes and ordinances
- Understanding of construction materials, systems, and methods
- Experience in writing construction specifications for building projects
- Solid research experience/methodology.
If you are interested in applying, please send a cover letter, resume and attach a portfolio, if applicable.
SWBR Architects is an EOE encouraging women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.