The Marcellus Central School District project consisted of a two-story, 43,000-square-foot, $6 million addition to the existing Driver Middle School that contains a two-station gymnasium with an upper level running track, locker rooms, fitness room, 10-room classroom wing and commons. The middle school, situated at the south end of the district’s K-12 campus, was the original school building constructed in 1936 in a traditional Neo-Georgian style. The addition sought to complement and extend the architecture of the earlier building. It created a second front façade for the building that provided a dignified entrance.
The building employs a rich vocabulary of brick and limestone elements on the exterior, which has been continued into the interior that honors the traditional aspects of the original building in a contemporary manner. There is a continuation of fenestration and roof elements consistent between buildings that provides mechanical chimneys and abundant natural light into student-occupied spaces and clerestory lighting into the gymnasium. The interior finishes were thoughtfully chosen for their durability and aesthetic appeal, in keeping with the same grand tradition of the Neo-Georgian structure. The two buildings are linked by the commons, which interactively connects the two buildings visually and physically. Since its opening in the fall of 2007, this building has been well received by the community and a proud addition to the campus.
© 2016 SWBR Architects, All Rights Reserved. | Locations