SWBR Selected as Architect for Charlotte Square Project
We are proud to announce that we have been selected as the architect for the Charlotte Square project.
“Charlotte Street’s redevelopment is a key East-End project that will be an anchor in this important neighborhood and a job-creating opportunity for residents throughout our city,” said Mayor Warren. “The announcement of Charlotte Square is exciting news for the East End and every corner of Rochester as we move this project, and the fifty jobs it will create, full-steam ahead. More jobs and safer, more vibrant city neighborhoods are key components for Rochester’s future success and Charlotte Square will be an important part of that winning formula.”
A ‘Request For Proposals’ was sent out last fall for the re-development of City-owned vacant lots at 14-80 Charlotte Street. Four proposals were submitted at the end of last year and Home Properties was recently selected to move forward as the project developer.
The selected proposal includes an important homeownership component (townhouses) that was lacking in the other submissions. Additionally, the rental component of the proposal includes rent levels that are within the Downtown housing market pricing range.
The Charlotte Square Project creates an inviting and dynamic streetscape, making it more attractive for pedestrian traffic once completed. The project also includes a music practice room for Eastman School of Music students and incorporates an excellent open space design/park component.
“Home Leasing is honored to be chosen as the developer and manager of Charlotte Square,” said Nelson Leenhouts, Home Leasing Chairman and CEO. “We are excited to be included as part of the re-birth of Downtown living and the development of this important area. Residents will enjoy ready access to shopping, entertainment and cultural venues with many walking or biking to work. Each unit will have generous outdoor spaces that will bring life to the street with amenities include an inviting pocket park, secure parking, community and fitness centers, and practice rooms for our resident musicians.”
Project highlights Include:
• 72 upscale apartments and up to 14 for-sale townhomes developed in two phases
• Mixed-income community including high-end apartments at both market and affordable rental rates
• Unique design with three levels of apartments over secure garages
• On-site parking will include 80 spaces
• Secure bicycle storage
• Public pocket park will provide inviting community gathering spaces and bridge access from Charlotte Street to Richmond Street, then onto Main Street
• Generous outdoor balconies and patios adding to neighborhood vitality and safety
• Fitness room, soundproof musical practice room(s), and a community room available for residents’ use
• Apartment floor plans with open concept layout, solid surface countertops, in-unit laundry, ample storage and multiple bathrooms
Construction on Charlotte Square will begin this summer with apartments available in the summer of 2016, and the townhomes in 2017. Home Leasing is partnering with SWBR Architects on this innovative project.